Thursday, August 29, 2013

RARE INTERVIEW WITH TUNDE KELANI


NgEX! Exclusive interview with Tunde Kelani
Q: NAME?
T K: Tunde Kelani
Q: WHAT DO CLOSE FRIENDS CALL YOU?
T K: T.K
Q: WHAT DOES KELANI MEAN?
T K: Kelani is an arabic name, it is a moslem name.
Q: WHERE DO YOU HAIL FROM?
T K: Well, my father is from Ogun state so I'm from Ogun state but, you know I've been in Lagos for a long time so it won't be fair for me not to claim it as well. You know they help me a lot, Osoba (Ogun State Governor) helps me as well. So I'm from both states. (Laughs)
Q: WHERE IN OGUN STATE, DOES YOUR FATHER COME FROM?
T K: He is from Ijange Kukudi Abeokuta

Q: WHICH SCHOOLS DID YOU ATTEND?:
T K: I attended Oke Ona United Primary School and my secondary was Abeokuta Grammar School.
Q: WHAT DID YOU DO AFTER SCHOOLING:
T K: I worked as a clerk for some time, then later worked at Dotun Okubanjo studios 1968/69. I later worked at Western Nigeria Television as a trainee film cameraman. Then moved to NBC channel 10 in 1974.
Q: DID YOU READ ANY COURSE RELATING TO PHOTOGRAPHY?
T K: Yes, I hold a degree in Art and Technique of film making from London International Film school.
Q: WHEN DID THIS LOVE FOR THE CAMERA START?.
T K: My fascination for the camera started from primary school.
Q: HAVE YOU ACTED BEFORE?:
T K: Yes, in Mr. Johnson, I had a small part and I was also the 3rd director in the film.

Q: NOW YOU HAVE MAINFRAME, WHY THE NAME MAINFRAME?
T K: Everything in the photography world ends with a frame. Apart from that, I was into computers then and I believed Mangrama was the best that was how the name came about.

Q: WHAT DOES MAINFRAME REALLY DO?
T K: We do Television and film productions. We also do documentaries even for foreigners, Newsreel footage inclusive.

Q: DO YOU THINK NIGERIAN FILMS ARE SEEN ABROAD?
T K: Yes, all my films are always shown in cinemas abroad subtitled and all. We're even trying to get to the Francophone countries, and few of them have been shown to them and they like it we are trying to expand it more. We want to make the film industry better, using better cameras and better equipmnet.

Q: WHAT ABOUT THUNDERBOLT? THIS IS YOUR LATEST WORK, WHAT IS IT REALLY ABOUT?
T K: It's about a woman that was laced with magun.

Q: WHAT IS MAGUN?
T K: Magun is a Yoruba Juju, that means don't climb. It is used on women suspected of not being faithful to their partner. If she sleeps with anybody during this period, the sexual partner dies instantly but if she doesn't the Magun will kill her. That is what Thunder bolt is about. It has been in shown in cinemas for sometime, London Inclusive, it is now on video, it came out today (2nd of April)

Q: IS T.K MARRIED?
T K: Yes, I'm married with children.

Q: SO FAR, WHICH OF YOUR MOVIES DO YOU LIKE BEST?
T K: Thunderbolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment